Let’s say that you want to keep track of when you last updated a certain file. You can insert the current date and time in Excel using the NOW function. Or perhaps you are creating a worksheet that will be used by others and you want it to automatically insert the current date whenever it is opened. The TODAY function is useful for that. For an example below:
Insert current date and time into an Excel cell
1. Open a worksheet and select the cell where you want the current date and time to appear.
2. To insert the current date and time, use the NOW function. Type =NOW()
3. Press ENTER, it will appear the current date and time
Insert a static date and time with keyboard shortcuts
In order to insert today’s date and time, select the cell and press Ctrl+; (semi-colon) for DATE and now press the Space button from your keyboard and then press Ctrl+Shift+; (semi-colon) for TIME.
- Press Ctrl+; (semi-colon)
- Press SPACE button
- Press Ctrl+Shift+;
Current time keyboard shortcuts
To insert the current time, select the cell you want to insert the current time and press Ctrl+Shift+; (semi-colon).
Insert today’s date in Excel cell
In order to insert today’s date, simply open your worksheet and select the cell you want to appear the current date.
1. To insert the current date, use the TODAY function. Type =TODAY()
2. Press ENTER, it will appear today’s date
Change the date or time format as required
In order to change the date or time format in a cell as required:
1. The user must right-click on the cell and select Format Cells.
2. After selecting Format Cells, a dialog box will appear with the Number tab open. Under Category, the user must click Date or Time.
3. A list of types will appear and the user must select the desired type before clicking OK.
Article Source: Click Here